18 November 2011

Still Here

Back when I announced that I was going to quit my job and go to law school, I bet you all thought that this blog was going to become so entertaining and delightful as you were able to track my big city adventure and glamorous law school life.

Sorry.

I'm still really busy. Really, really busy. Today I told someone that I have never worked so hard, but I have also never learned so much. (Note: I'm involved in a very specific kind of legal education this semester—clinical education—that makes this year particularly grueling while simultaneously rewarding. Not everyone does this kind of work in law school, but I'm glad I am.)

I often think I'm going to come to the blog and explain what I've been up to so you can all marvel at how interesting/uninteresting (depending on who you are) it sounds.

Yet I don't.

I'm busy.

The clinic I'm a member of is particularly intense, even compared to the other clinics at the school. Near the beginning of the semester, I joked with someone that we had hit the ground running in our clinic...then I corrected myself, that it was more like we had been thrown from a moving car and were trying to keep up. However, it means I get to do really cool things. So as to not bore you with the details, I'll just say that I'm getting to be involved in a giant pile of interesting litigation with a pile of really interesting people. I'm learning from highly respected lawyers, and the things I'm involved in regularly show up on the web, on the news, and sometimes in the NY Times. It's such a fun adventure, but I do have a love/hate relationship with it. I love what I get to do. I love who I get to work with. I love who I'm getting to learn from. I HATE how I don't have time to do anything else. I'm working long, long hours, often with quick deadlines as the litigation moves.

A non-clinic classmate remarked the other day that we were getting close to finals, so she had to say goodbye to her social life. I haven't had a social life all semester. I'm thinking about picking one up in the summer. I'm pretty tired though, so I don't know about that. I think I'll sleep all summer.

I'm weirdly actually really looking forward to finals, because the clinic sort of shuts down, and I'll have a few days to catch my breath. Our supervising professors take over our cases, taking care of any emergencies that might crop up, and we will have a chance to just be students for a little while. This time will be a good thing, because I have a couple of classes that I need to do some serious studying for.

I don't have time to write too much else, but I will say that blog-worth things do happen, and I am keeping track of them all, and perhaps I'll try to fill in the gaps over Christmas break. (One of my favorite parts of being a student: CHRISTMAS VACATION! I never got that when I worked. I am savoring it while I'm a student...I'll be back in a regular job in not too long!)

So here, for your perusal, some forthcoming blogs (right now, titles only, but sure to be delightful when completed):

Chariots of Fire; or How My Family Tried to Kill Me
The Visitor
Guilt for All Foods
Objection!
I Believe You Dropped This
Take Note
Know When to Hold 'Em
Occupy Clinic



Hopefully, I'll get around to writing them before I forget what they're all about. I think you'll find at least one of them to be particularly horrifying, and really, if I have a opportunity to horrify you, I like to seize it.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

ooo I can't wait - those titles are so intriguing!

You are a super star smarty pants! All that legal jargon - I have no idea what you're talking about! Glad that you get a Christmas break, we can't wait to see you!

LL said...

Can't wait to read it all. If you don't get to it before you visit me, I'm gonna make you sit down and write it all out. Homework, baby! :-)

I too need to do some blogging. About how the stitches came to be, how they were removed, how the unpacking is going (it isn't, that will be a short post!) etc.

David said...

That is so great! I really need to read the Chariots of fire one.

jill kynaston said...

They all sound riveting! Can't wait!