09 February 2014

New York New York

When I tell people I'm an attorney living in New York City, they often have glamorous ideas of what my life must be like.

I smile appropriately, but I know my life isn't like that at all.

However, occasionally, I have a period of time that is exactly what people think.

A few weekends ago, I went to a fantastic brunch with a friend, where we saw a celebrity--my first celebrity sighting ever, for the record. Then, we decided to go for a walk in Central Park. And we walked. And walked. And walked. Like pioneer children, but without the singing. It was a foggy, gorgeous day in New York. I don't have any pictures because my hands were cold and in my pockets, but you can just basically picture the most gorgeous day ever. It was still, and cool, and soft, and hauntingly beautiful. We wandered down to the Bethesda Terrace and Fountain, where in the span of about 15 minutes, we saw a wedding, an amazing choir singing Ave Maria (that wasn't part of the wedding), and a surprise marriage proposal. After we wandered back out of the park, we ate hot dogs from a street vendor and meandered about Manhattan. It was idyllic, and very New York.

A week or two later, I went to have a mani pedi with one of my girlfriends out here, while we gabbed about the men in our lives and our jobs and the weather and then I headed off to a party, and then the after party of said party, and then came home and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning with a friend from the party because we simply could not stop partying. (Those of you who know me personally can properly substitute whatever adjective you find appropriate to describe what it is that you know I do when I "party.") 

And this weekend, for further example:

  • Went to two broadway shows
  • Got autographs from the actors (who are all amazing movie stars as well)
  • Wandered around Times Square
  • Ate delicious food
  • Listened to a man sing songs about New York as he wandered through Times Square (for the record, only a few people even noticed)
  • Rode the subway late at night
  • Bore witness to some impressive busking
  • Spotted a random celebrity in a place he wasn't expected
  • Made commentary on how short the celebrity was
  • Was pulled from oncoming traffic by a dashing man in a suit
My life could be a TV show. It would largely be a really, really unpopular show, unless a new trend in reality TV that I don't know about is watching people sleep. (That's my main hobby. I can't help it--when you're as good at sleeping as I am, it's basically a crime not to do it.)

I love this city.



3 comments:

LL said...

And I scrubbed pee off the bathroom floor.

Glamorous!

(But seriously, I'm happy for your happiness.)

Tyler and Kimberly said...

I want to know who the short celebrity is! :)

More Bacon said...

Kimberly, it was Seth Meyers. But the friend I was with has since told me that he thinks Seth Meyers is much taller than I gave him credit for. We have agreed to disagree on that point.