24 April 2012

Tonsillectomy

Things I've learned from my tonsillectomy (yes, I am recovering from a tonsillectomy right now. It went very well; I had one of the best doctors in Manhattan at one of the finest hospitals around, so everything is fine and dandy)

  • You're never too old to let someone take care of you, even/especially if that someone is your mother
  • Tonsillectomy post-op care is like a really non-fun drinking game with water and juice. Want to play at home? It goes like this: every time anything happens, take a drink. Wake up? Have a drink. Commercial on TV? Have a drink. Get up to use the restroom? Go ahead and have another drink. Hydration is key, so I feel like all I'm doing is just processing fluids.
  • It's a good thing they took my tonsils out, because with how much swelling I have back there now, I wouldn't have any room for them!
  • Even foods that seem bland may turn out to be spicy.
  • Liquid antibiotics taste EXACTLY the same as when I was a kid and had strep throat all of the time. Too bad no doctors wanted to take out my tonsils then...I was just born in the wrong time, folks.
  • Don't tell people depressing things right before surgery - the person who was originally going to be my anesthesiologist, who put in my IV, told me that a tonsillectomy "hurts like hell." Comforting. And she stuck my IV in my right arm, which was annoying. But then she ended up not being my anesthesiologist, and my other anesthesiologist told me that I was going to be fine. The second anesthesiologist ended up being right.
  • Doctors act legally cautious even when other people aren't around. I joked with my anesthesiologist that she'd have to make sure I kept breathing, and she said, "I'm going to try." I thought, what an appropriate answer. But if she had promised me that she would, and then I had died, well, no lawsuit there, right? No one else was there to hear it. Maybe it's just a really good habit they're all in.
I'm now about two weeks out of my tonsillectomy. I'm still in some pain, but things are healing well. The saddest part is that my mother went home, so now I just have to take care of myself, which is not nearly as much fun. But I'll survive.

Only a couple of weeks until finals, and then time to start working. Time flies!! (In truth, the days are very, very long, but the school year has really flown.)

Probably time to start learning something about the subjects of my classes...yikes!!!

2 comments:

LL said...

Yay! You're back!

Glad you're feeling better, can't wait for school to end so you can get out here. :-)

Shannon said...

Not fun! I am glad that you are feeling better and got spoiled by your Mom!