26 January 2007

The Thrills of Being "Young and Fabulous"

This is the prime of my life, or so I'm told. Enjoy it while you can, they say...you'll miss these days once you're married and have kids... And I smile and nod and agree, but I wonder if anyone really remembers what it's like to be young and fabulous. I work at least 40 hours a week, and then I have two courses at Utah Valley State College that occupy a good portion of my time. So here I am. It's Friday night. The night of nights. The night which belongs to the young and fabulous. Yet, strangely, I am at my apartment doing homework that must be done before midnight. I'm not doing the homework tonight purely due to procrastination--I've been busy--but now the deadline looms before me like the sunset which took place hours ago, while I was still doing homework. Pumpkin-inevitability aside, I would probably still be at home. Why? Because being young and fabulous is exhausting. By the end of the week, I am too tired for much beyond sleeping. In fact, I probably go to bed earlier on Friday nights than on any other night. Why is that? Here, in the "prime of my life," I am completely worn out. Could it be that being young and fabulous is much less glamorous than it sounds? Or have I not yet achieved an appropriate level of "fabulosity?" Am I missing something? What is it about being young and fabulous that is so fabulous? Or is it just me? I suppose it's irrelevant. My Macroeconomics homework is beckoning. I must now evaluate which products the countries of Tunata and Canswicki should produce--baby formula or cans of tuna? Glamorous, isn't it? And very educational.

That's all the bacon for now.

No comments: